Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The swish of the brush

I had a lovely morning--it was spent not in reminiscing good memories of the past nor dreams of the future..I was soaking up the present.

It started with me going back to where I worked, familiar warm faces with genuine smiles and goodness, I could feel the warmth of the positive vibes all around. My manager had cleared his exams and got the stamp of an MBA which in turn gave us an excuse to celebrate with khamand, kachoris and jalebis. I also caught up with a few people I had been meaning to meet-it feels good to be in the company of the people you want to be in.

A trip to south mumbai is never complete if I dont visit Jehangir Art Gallery, my tryst with paintings started a few years ago and has only blossomed since. I got lost in the numerous hues and the swishes of the paint brush, until a truck load of tourists entered,of which im sure not even half knew the meaning of art appreciation. But love is a very overpowering force, soon I was oblivious to the crowd, the noise, and even the existance of another soul in the room, maybe that is the meaning of detached, maybe that is the feeling of fanaah.

I climbed the staircase to a cozy room which I call familiar-I know the terrace art gallery in and out, what paintings are done in which styles, placed where on the wall. As I entered my familiar haven I felt the intensity all around me, and I smiled to myself enwrapped in this feeling.

Caretaker: You've come after long
Me: Yes, true-I dont live in India anymore

I walked up to my favourite painting there,a large canvas:of a boat in the stormy sea,the painting is in all different shades of blue-it reminds of life, how we struggle to stay afloat, to move ahead and to stand tall.

Caretaker: Take it. You've always liked it. You know I would give you a good discount.
I met his eyes and smiled.Next time I visit the gallery,I should be able to take it-for now it was time to go.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

it feels good to be in the company of the people you want to be in

people you want to be in?? man, the undertones that statement creates:p...

wrt the paintings, the stormy sea and boat thing is overdone frankly...y dont people shift to newer visuals for the age old metaphor of strife torn weakling amidst turbulence?

suggestions- flowering cactus in desert..now dats endurance...and given u were a denizen of the desert till recently, quite apt...

BOOYAH
Proudly unintelligent

Fanaah said...

@booyah [u nicknamed urself]
the undertones are in your head i guess, and life is how you look at it-so im a boat and youre a withering cactus...as I said its how one looks at it :)

Anonymous said...

3 reasons why a cactus kicks ass of a boat:

- People cry when they come in contact with cactii, they puke when on boats
- No iceberg for miles around a cactus
- No silly names like 'my fair lady'

BOOYAH
Proudly Desert Vegetation

Fanaah said...

A ship would be safe in the port, but thats not what ships are meant for.

Ill serve my purpose, and you may serve yours (whatever a cacti's purpose is in the desert...be a good cacti booyah!)

Anonymous said...

boys, all of us are worm fodder...
dead poets society...


cactti are yummy and nutricious worm fodder tho...boats are kinda turgin and bland...

BOOYAH
Proudly nutritioning wormies

Fanaah said...

Hmmm from the movie.

Now look who is being the eternal down trodden. Why dont you look at "newer visuals" rather than being considered as someones diet.

And then Ill take your word for it-I dont know too many humans who have eaten cacti or boats for that matter.

KAD said...

Purnima and paintings?? Ok this is one thing that escaped me atleast...never knew you lobed paintings. No not that I understand or love them (am like those half a dozen tourists who know zit about this) but was still surprising.

Anonymous said...

im sure by ur next trip to bbay... u wud b able to afford that painting... :)

till then let others also enjoy the beautiful painting in the gallery... ;)

Fundoo said...

Oyeeee you in Mumbai too????!!! Just read your previous post and was wondering whether you back from your stint at Dxb... and here you are! Bhelkome to amchi Mumbai! :)

Oh and btw someone as artistically challenged as me doesn't have any right to bable on something that is out of my understanding! I'd certainly wish that you manage to buy the painting the next time you visit Jehangir Art Gallery. How I wish I were a painter and sold my painting to you for a couple of million dollars. :p (ok, I accept Singapore dollars too. :p)

Jokes apart, never knew that you are a keen painting enthusiasts though! Hidden talent huh?!

Anonymous said...

Wow i did not know u were so into paintings but it does not surprise me because you are someone who can stare at a painting for a long time and come out with a lot of lateral thought from it. Nice to know that u r enjoying urself in Mumbai.make sure you buy that painting with your first Singapore $ paycheck :P

Parag said...

creative I am not very.. but as an investment would like to start looking at paintings.. Have realised that though I started looking at art as an investment.. You tend to fall in love with a few ..
Still a long way to go as far as undertanding art goes...Maybe You can teach me a few things