I walked down my favourite promenade Carter Road at 1 pm.
Let me work my way down for you. The sky was filled with light grey clouds, which allowed the suns rays to glisten between few of them. As the clouds moved, the rays would withdraw, only to appear from from another crack in the sky. Just above the water, I could not make out whether it was plain cloud or plain sky, but I could see the imperceptible winds floating over the horizon.
The oh glorious sea, chose to wear her grey coat, and was dancing, her waves all in rhythm. Not one bit, not one bit of her calm demeanour which she oft displays. Every atom of her had motion, whether it was throwing herself to the sky, or splashing and merging into her wholeness.
It was one of those days when the tide was at its highest and the sea lashed on the promenade wetting all in its purview.
Bombay's population of 14 million ensures that no public place is ever empty at any time of the day. Thus the promenade was dotted with the usual suspects - a bunch of college students; the firangis; the lovers; the not-so-occasional dog; grandfathers & grandchildren; the lukha middle class; and me.
Just then it began to drizzle.
The college students- who had obviously bunked the drab books for the good weather (intelligent) giggled with delight ; The firangis - who were trying to take a photograph juggled their camera from the rain and the sea water; the lovers snuggled under one umbrella; the dog ran below a bench- where it shared space with (if you believe) a cat; the grandchild laughed and laughed loud; the lukha middle class sat exactly as they were; and I....
...and I saw all the sights, and delighted in the fact that Bombay can be such a harmonious city in the rains. And I saw the sea and marvelled at the creators glory. And I saw the skies and felt the lightness. And then I shut my eyes - just at peace...being me.
2 comments:
A good post after quite some time! Well written.
Bombay or Mumbai? :-)
Enjoyed reading about rains in Bombay. :)
Post a Comment