Sunday, April 30, 2006

Dont judge a book by its cover (definately not in an airplane)

I entered the aircraft and passed down the aisle towards my seat, I passed her--angel looking. Her curly hair bounced off her shoulders and she smiled, she smiled to every passerby. Every person got taken in by the mix of her sweetness and charm. What a bundle of joy-all of 5 years.
All was mesmorizing until the movie 'Bluff Master' on the aircraft began. All the interested put on their headphones, the uninterested continued in the same fashion. Suddenly a high pitch shrill voice began to screech 'the whole thing is wrong bhaiya sabse bada rupaiya'. She sang the whole verbatim including the ooohs and ahhs. Everything disappeared; angel was gone for good.
A young boy of 10, sat two rows behind me began to explain to his mother why the airplane always flew over the sea and then changed direction. I was quite impressed, I didnot know that at 10, hell i didnt even know that when I was 23. Anyway he got a little carried away with telling his mom everything:
'the planes engines have started', ' now the plane is moving in front', 'the plane is turning right' , 'the plane has stopped', 'another plan is landing', 'the planes engines have started again', 'the plane is now building speed'
Uhhhhh, did i say intelligent??
As I took my seat I was disappointed to see an old maharashtrain couple(she wore a green sari, gold and red bangles, big bindi and only seemed to converse in marathi) sitting next to me-that removed any sort of conversation for the flight duration for sure. I was surpised when the purser came the man asked for a sweet martini and his wife said 'ill have the same'. When dinner arrived the man asked for a coke and she said can i have another sweet martini. She was barely 3/4th through her dinner when she asked for another sweet martini to take with dessert!
Post supper she was fast asleep (who wouldn't be after 3 martinis), but at least I was right about the no conversation.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

:-) light one after those heavy postings :-)

All the best for whatever beholds post aircraft landing.

KAD said...

All the best pooooorrrrrrnima!!! May singapore truly be your city of joy!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah the travails of flying... This one time I was going from Blore to Pune and this guy sitting next to me insisted on making conversation. I have motion sickness and I was already half-asleep from the pill I had taken... But this dude jus wont listen! I guess he finally noticed that I had fallen asleep... Man the look he gave me when we got off the plane!

Quirkilicious said...

Hiee Darlin!! So how is singapore treating you??? Hope things are going fabulously! Keep me posted!

Ps: what airline did u fly anyway???!!!

Parag said...

3 martinis would have done you good too.. That's the best way to get into a new city in high spirits

Joy Ghosh said...

I actually started laughing while reading this :)) more than than the humor in your surroundings, I think I am impressed with your power of observing them :)